So Friday, July 1st, my headache wasn't horrible and I decided to go to work. By the time I got off from work, I could barely tolerate it, so once my dad got home from work we went downtown to Children's Mercy. They had me on my usual meds but they added IV compazine which we quickly learned was not a good choice. I ended up having a reaction. They gave it to me at about 10 pm and I was awake most of the night with severe anxiety. I was there until Sunday Morning. They got my headache down to a 2 and sent me home. They should really know better than to send me home with a headache because I was back 2 weeks later (which might I say is a new record) with my headache being unbearable.
When I was hospitalized the 2nd time, I really struggled. It started from the moment I got to the ER and the nurse literally stabbed me twice trying to get an IV in while I screamed bloody murder before she decided it would be a good idea to call the vascular team. Apparently I was pretty dehydrated because it took them 3 tries before they finally got a successful IV poke. That IV lasted less than a day before it went bad so my doctor was kind enough to order a midline which is more like a picc line. So it went into a deeper vein which meant it didn't burn anymore when I got meds infused and I was able to sleep at night. So while I was in the hospital the first time, one of my favorite food service people delivered my food. I had no idea what her name was, but my mom ran into her in the cafeteria and asked her. My mom told me her name was Val. Well, the first morning I was in the hospital this last time, Val brought me my food. My mom made sure to tell her thanks and she left the room. Not even a minute later she walked back in and was like, "Wait! You switched rooms on me!" I giggled and we let her know that I unfortunately was back. But every time she brought my food after that, you could hear her half way down the hall saying,"Naomi! I got your food girlfriend!" That was probably the highlight of my stay. I saw Neurology that Sunday and they've determined my migraines are caused by inflammation. So they added a new medicine for me to try when my "cocktail" of meds doesn't work. I'll try that medicine, and if that doesn't work then they'll call in a prednisone prescription for me. They're trying everything they can to keep me out of the hospital. They sent me home that evening which terrified me since my headache was at a 6. They had never sent me home with my headache at a 6. But, I was on prednisone which broke my headache in December.
My 2nd discharge photo
So the prednisone and I did NOT get along this time. I was dealing with weight gain, mood swings, and don't even get me started on food. I actually spent late Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning in the ER. I couldn't really sleep, my chest felt tight, and I just felt like I couldn't breathe. My dad took my blood pressure multiple times and it kept saying I had an irregular heartbeat. They determined my heart was fine, my lungs were clear, and I was getting enough oxygen. They determined it was a mix of anxiety and heartburn. Anxiety due to the fact my body was literally going crazy from gaining 10 pounds in less than 5 days. They gave me this medicine that they call the magic mouthwash which literally numbs everything from your mouth to your stomach. It's the weirdest sensation but it works wonders. I went home and was able to get some sleep before a much needed trip to Northern Wisconsin to see family.
I got to see my really good friend Baileigh! :)
(Also, check out my prednisone cheeks)
My cousin Erika and I
Now fast forward to this week. My headache is back. I've had it since about Tuesday and it just doesn't want to go away. I've really been struggling because there's so much I want to do but I literally can't because I have very limited energy or my headache spikes. Plus on the days I have to take my heavy duty meds, I am literally the sloth from Zootopia. I'm not usually a sit around and do nothing kind of person so this literally drives me CRAZY! When I start getting too mopey about it, I start listening to Fight Song by Rachel Platten and Brave by Sara Bareilles. These two songs help remind me that I can do it and to not let my headache or migraine win. I start physical therapy again in about a week and then I have a neurology appointment that next week. Let's hope this headache is gone before then!




No comments:
Post a Comment